Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII

From: M Hodgson <mkh100@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 07:15:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII

> >  A-batts, here is where the real variation comes in with the
multiple sizes
> >  of main guns and turrets. These are 'normals' with 3 guns in a
turret
> >	    Batt    Gun Size	Range Bands    Damage
> >	    A10     10"-11"	    10"        4-1, 5-1, 6-1
> >	    A12     12"-13"	    12"        4-1, 5-1, 6-2
> >	    A14     14"-15"	    14"        4-1, 5-2, 6-2
> >	    A16     16"-17"	    16"        4-2, 5-2, 6-2
> >	    A18     18"+	    18"        4-2, 5-2, 6-3
> >
> I made simple assumptions for gunnery C bats represent 5-7" guns at
the
> following rate - 2 5"=1 C bat, 6" are 1 for 1 and 7" are 2 for 3 C
bats.
> B bats are 8-12" with 8 costing 3 for 2, 10" costing 1 for 1 and 12"
> costing 2 for 3 B batts.

I pick these axamples out on one criteria only.  Whilst I know little
about the American/Japanese side of WW2 naval combat, for which these
rules may well work, I don't feel they are especially well designed for
the atlantic theater.

The issue that at the heart of this is German 11" guns.  They were well
built,	definately main armament and thanks to very high mussel
velocities
could fire futher than many 14"-15" guns.  Whilst this is a specific
example, if you are creating ships by reverse engineering designs, you
will find you loose the "flavour" of the war with this kind of system.

The general idea is excelent, but I do feel it needs some tweeking.
People interested in fast play naval rules for WW2 (and WW1) would do
well
to look at General Quarters pt 1 (and pt 2).  The rules are quick and
easy
to play and record keeping is simple.  Campaign rules are also included
and these work well.  Although FT IS more simple, it may not be by the
time you have added all your rules modifications.

Range of weapons is another issue that I feel neads reassesing.  I
remember the most striking thing to me when I started playing naval
engagements was the shear range a ship could fire.  These little 2"
models
could fire in excess of 100" !!!  It does of course depend on the scale
etc. you are playing, but remember that by WW2, engagements were
possible
at distances of 15miles or so...

-Entropy

Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.