Prev: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: FT III: ECM. from originator

From: Absolutely Barking Stars <JW4@b...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 05:18:11 -0400
Subject: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator

At 02:37 PM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>1]	 Will activity [like combat] on the part of a ship increase its
>vulnerability to being targeted?
Yes. If a ship is firing weapons it's emitting energy. OK, so the beam
weapons are highly focused pulses, but you are still going to get some
'bleed'.

>2]	 Can fighters act as "forward observers" and "paint" targets or
at
>least perform recon that will aid the fleet?
Um, I suppose so. This presumes though that weapon range is greater than
the range at which you can determine friend or foe. In FT, that isn't
necessarily the case.

>3]	 How about weapons packages that contain transponders,
scramblers, and
>other thingies that will act a "bell around the cat's neck"?
I would save said they were in the rules in MT under spoof ships, yes?

>4]	 [My 11 year old daughter came up with this] How about
"whiskers"?
>	 Unmanned probes that are released once a ship enters normal
>space.  They would range far and wide gathering and transmitting data
that
>warns ships of dangers, hazards, etc.	These could also be used in
military
>roles ranging from recon to decoys.
And would be the first thing to get taken out in any given conflict :).
Whiskers are all very well in principle (and on TV) but they are far too
brittle for a wartime system.

			TTFN
				Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist

Prev: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.