Prev: Re: No more GW bashing! Hehehe. Next: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII

Re: Improvised Turn Guages.

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 05:09:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Improvised Turn Guages.

>Bob Blanchett mentioned the problems with turn gauges recently, and
that
>made me think that someone might be interested in the type I use.
Basically
>I glue a clear plastic ruler to a clear plastic protractor. Works fine.
You
>can see what's happening underneath (particularly, if you get the right
>type of protractor with less marks on it). Similarly you just measure
>distance with the ruler.
>

>Regards,
>

>Kevin.

A very useful idea, Kevin!
In playtests and demos, we have found that once players are used to the
game, the turn gauges become fairly unneccessary in most cases; you can
actually gauge turns accurately enough from just the ship's base - if
you
use the US (geohex) bases, with the clockface marks, then simply put a
pointer (pencil tip?) against any mark on the base and rotate the model
the
required number of marks. For players who use the plastic hex stands,
put a
straight edge (ruler) flat against one of the hexsides of the stand -
rotating the base "half a side" (ie: so that the point touches the
ruler)
is 1 turn point (30 degrees) and rotating so that the next "flat"
touches
is a 2 point turn. This is usually good enough for non-munchkinised game
groups... :)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: No more GW bashing! Hehehe. Next: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII