Prev: Re: DS2: Multi-Mounts/Single Targets Next: GZG ON Line Catalogue

tort and Retort

From: DirtSider@a...
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:58:55 -0400
Subject: tort and Retort

Flame off, Jonny Quest!

<< I've been into historical gaming for over ten years.  I've got a
Masters
in History, one field of specialty is Military
 History and I've played Advanced Squad Leader for over eight years.  I
may
have not been in the military, and lets face it, the military certainly
doesn't always make a person a great tactician, but I've played enough
unbalanced ASL scenarios to realize what is needed to make a good one.
Its
kind of arrogant to assume you could write a more "fun" scenario than I,
when
you know little about me >>

BA in history, MA in Military History, 13 years military service at the
grunt
and command levels, 5 years designing and operating combat simualtions
for
the Army, 33 years wargaming and scenario design experience.  That being
said, I may not be a better tactician than anyone else, nor am I saying
that
I can write a more fun scenario.  Just pointing out that I have as much
experience as anyone else here.  However, the remark about arrogance is
what
impelled me to bring this whole thing up in the first place.  Reread
your
initial response to my first post and then check the arrogance level.

<<By the way smarty pants, how many points are an Abrams M1A2 tank, a
U.S.
paratrooper, a Russian conscript and an German Leopard I?   I'm sure the
army
assigned points values to these items so they could devise a plan
against them! ;-) Hehehe.>>

More of the same?  But just incidentally, I can give you the firepower
ratios
for an M1, a paratrooper, et al.  I can even build a mathematical model
that
can predict their effectiveness in combat (accurately, by the way).  So
what
is that if not a points system?  And that's exactly how the Army plans
its
battles -- empirically.

<<I could really care less about what is happening at the higher echelon
and
I doubt most grunts on the field do either.>>

Okay, so what?	The commanders DO care.  My players ARE the commanders.
In
any case, the fact that you don't care doesn't mean that no one cares.
And
that's the bottom line -- you don't have to use any points system if you
don't want to; I personally want to have access to one.

Almost at the end :)  Canned scenarios are nice occasionally, whether
written
by a game company or by an individual.	I have no problem playing those.
 But, in the main, I like to play my own forces -- my own figures, my
own
designs/TOEs.  Without some way of comparing (ahead of time), its a lot
harder to balance that kind of battle.

Final point -- I don't want to get all sensitive here.	But I don't
think
you're scum of the earth for thinking the way you do.  I just disagree
with
you because it doesn't meet my needs or the needs of my gaming group.
If
this is going to turn into a flame war, let's take it private, please.

-- John

Prev: Re: DS2: Multi-Mounts/Single Targets Next: GZG ON Line Catalogue