Prev: Re: Storage & Transportation Next: B5 RPG UK Edition

Re: Storage & Transportation

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:27:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Storage & Transportation

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Absolutely Barking Stars wrote:

> Up until now I have been storing my FT ships in a fairly haphazard
fashion
> but since my collection has recently undergone a bit of inflation (one
> fleet to four!) I would like to find some more organised way to store
them
> and if possible transport them in the same containers. This is
particularly
> a problem with the capital ships as they don't fit in any standard
figure
> cases.
> So, how are people storing their minis? Foam packaging? Wrapped in
> newspaper in an old sock? Any suggestions?

I mount my FT ships on steel fender washers and use magnetic sheeting in
plastic storage boxes.	The boxes are 9"x14"x6" deep and are like
Rubbermaid's plastic storage bins (though from a more generic and
cheaper
company).  I first line the bottom of the box with a magnetic sheet.  I
then use either basswood or 1/8" plywood to make a bridge to support a
piece of 1/8" plywood for a 2nd layer.	The 2nd layer gets magnetic
sheeting as well and another bridge to be able to pull that 2nd layer
out
of the box, as well as compartmentalizing it.

To mount it this way you really need to adjust the way you mount the
ships.	If you try to mount a large ship on a small base it'll topple
over
easier.  Using the bases that come with the Geo-hex ships, I toss the
pole
that comes with it and mount the ship on a length of brass tubing (1/8"
for big ships, down to 1/16" for escorts).  I drill the hole in the ship
as deep as possible.  This results in a VERY sturdy mounting that
shouldn't break without serious abuse.	I then mount on different sizes
of
fender washers -- 1-1/4" for escorts, 2" for capitals.	This gives very
good balance, as well as a larger surface area to keep in from tipping
off
the magnetic strip.  It also has the advantage of keeping the larger
ships
from tipping when knocked during a game.

Advantages:  Each full fleet of mine (potentially 2 each of the Geo-hex
packaging system) will fit in its own box.  You can fit the minis in
however they work the best (as opposed to, say, cutting them into foam)
as
well as only taking what you need for a particular scenerio.  Added
balance during play.  Almost no need to fix breaks in the mounting.

Disadvantages:	Takes time to build each box (though I've gotting it
down
to about 45 minutes each) and even more time mounting the ships to work
best with this system (you really need the extra support).  It's also
kinda expensive (US$10-12 each).  Helps to have access to a circular
saw,
band saw, and sander.  Less sturdier than a toolbox.  I'd, in fact,
rather
do it in metal toolboxes, but I've yet to find any that stack as easily
as
the plastic storage bins.

At any rate I plan on mounting most my wargames with this system, though
some I'll only be magnetising the top layers, leaving the bottom layer
be padded for armor, artillery and such that look better without a base.
Currently my FT and Battletech is set up this way, and WHFB (yes, I'm a
bad boy) is on its way.

A temporally displaced		Bill Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington

Prev: Re: Storage & Transportation Next: B5 RPG UK Edition