Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

Re: Point system misunderstanding...

From: Brian Lojeck <lojeck@r...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:06:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Point system misunderstanding...

> This may seem simple Brian,

I never said it was simple. in fact, a decent point system is damn
complicated. a perfect one is impossible!

> but exactly how much better is a veteran powered
> armor trooper against a green reserve infantry?

I have absolutly no idea, which is why a point system is a good thing,
give a basic (note: basic, loose, imprecise) idea to a newbie gamer

>   What if the leadership
> levels change?

technically, depending on what leadership is used for (don't play SGII)
if
a figure becomes half as likely to activate (I'm guessing at leadership
effects here) it is worth half as much point-wise. if it makes the
figures
kill what they are shooting at half as often, it makes their weapons
worth
half as many points. it should follow logic in some manner...

>  I don't see how it can be done...I will post a scenerio and
> background I've written within 24 hrs.  You guys try it out.	No
points will
> be involved.	I shall return!!

I never said points were to be used as the bible. I hardly every use
points when designing scenarios except in a very quick and loose way to
get the first hack at the forces (ie, take my attacking force, design a
defender worth about 1/2 as much, then tweak, then test, then tweak,
etc...). the last few scenarios I wrote for Legions of steel I never
even
looked at the point values, nor did I care. But until recently, I had
not
played sufficently to do that.

it is more then possible to come up with a scenario based on your
knowledge of the power of the units involved. all a point system is is a
method to try (loosly, generally, imprecisly) and put such a vague
notion
as a unit's "power" into something visible and writeable. To take it for
more then that (or to take it as an attempt at something more then that)
is bad, as it can never be more then that.

however, bad ones (like GW) are not even that...

Brian Lojeck
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu
Entertainment Technology Center

Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder