Prev: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...) Next: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

Re: Star Grunts Point System

From: Jerry McVicker <gmcvicke@w...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:20:07 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System

At 06:33 PM 5/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Phil wrote:
>>	   I'm sorry to bust on Jon (He did write these excellent games)
but I
>> really think that we are paying him money to generate point systems
that
>> enable us to judge relative differences betweeen forces.  This allows
us
>> (the players) to do the fudging required to make a scenario work
properly,
>> with an agreed upon basis for discussion.
>
>YOU may be paying him so, but not not suppose to presume what *I* am
>giving my hard earned dinar to Jon for.
>
>I've invested in DSII and SGII for reasons entirely unrelated to the
>absence of a point system in a negative sense; its absence actually
>/encourages/ me to invest more, because I know I won't have to deal
with
>the munchkin min-maxers turning what should be an enjoyable game of
>complex forces into an act of the accounting gods.  I give Jon money
>because I think his system is /excellent/, smooth running and
intuitive.
>I do it because SGII doesn't look down its nose at my intelligence, it
>presumes I have a brain-cell or two to rub together and don't need my
>hand held for every little thing.
>
>In short, I give Jon money because I find his games are for the
>'thinking man', not the point-allocating power trippers, because I have
>great fun playing his much deeper game, and I have no interest in
>pandering to the lowest common denoiminators.
>
>--
>[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
>[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]
>[	     BELLATORES INQVIETI --- Restless Warriors		   ]
>		       "There are no innocents."

Huzzah!  I agree!  I think if you can't come up with some fun and
entertaining scenerios without a "points" system, perhaps you're playing
the
wrong game.  There's a fairly juvinile game on the market by Gouge
Workstop
called 40,000 Dollars.	 They have a well developed points system,
"strategy
cards" so you don't have to think too much, AND....scenerio cards, so
you
have to think even less. Ages 12 and up I beleive.  I applaude Jon for
his
excellent system and his lack of points...so to speak.

I really don't understanding why anyone has a hard time getting a
scenerio
to "work properly"?  I think you've all been brain washed by the points
system, whick I've NEVER seen generate a balanced game.  Let me ask you
one
question, How many green troopers with assault rifles equals one vetran
in
powred armor?  3...5...10?   Is he worth the same against a regular
trooper
with advanced assault rifles?  YOU can taylor the scenerio for this
situation, but a points system can't.  What if all the green guys are in
trenches at the beginning of the game...are they worth more then?  At
the
very least, if you can't find an experienced player to introduce you to
the
game, play a couple of games with exactly the same troops.  I gaurantee
you
can play 2-3 games in an evening, unlike 40K$.	You can learn very
quickly.
All in all...have fun..as Jon put it, "The most enjoyable games will be
had
from doing well DESPITE your troops, rather than because of them."

Jerry McVicker

"Don't worry soldier, weapons will be available in a moment."

Blackwind and Raddix Gaming
http://www.imagixx.net/~bnrgames
bnrgames@imagixx.net