Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:31:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

Darryl Adams wrote:
> 1. The game is being run as a demo at SAGA 97.

Then you should have playtested it at least a half-dozen times, points
or no points.

> 2. We had no idea of relative power of units (we are familiar with
> vehicals, but agin the different scales supprised us in certian ways)

See #1.

> 3. Technolagy is hard to guage (while Mick had numerical supiority, I
had
> the tech supiority).

Yes it is without having done the playtesting.	Points are no measure of
that, either.

> 4. Mick was also lucky as my gunship aborted in turn 2 due to air
defence
> (It was also a green unit, it survivability was questionable)

A point system doesn't address the above, either.  Your Green gunship
doesn't make it through air defense the first time out, and aborts,
being effectively useless.  How many points is it worth?  Your Green
gunship makes it through the air defenses and through a series of lucky
rolls, takes out a couple of his critical units at just the right time.
Now how much is it worth?

> All this cries out for points. Sure I have no problems allowing
scenerios
> to define force deployments, but until we have a better undertanding
of
> what effect any given unit can have in battle, a point system would be
> nice.

A point system won't do anything to address the problems you mention
above.	Rough point system: ARMOUR + total weapon SIZE.  This will give
you a very general feel for the power of a unit, but its not going to
really help you figure out the things mentioned above.

> Fine in theory, but for a demo game , and aiming at people jerked of
GW, a
> point system will allow them to slide into the system better.

Then you should have playtested the scenario /before/ the con, with
half-a-dozen folks to see if it shakes out.  A Con is /not/ the time to
experiment, and most especially not with newbies.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.