Prev: Re: Testing..Testing.. Next: Re: Errata, More Thrust, and related...

RE: SGII overrun

From: kj@p... (Karl G. Johnson)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 18:20:48 -0400
Subject: RE: SGII overrun

>At 07:59 AM 5/22/97 +1000, you wrote:
>>I like the idea of panic. If you have ever had to sit on the ground
with
>>a troop of APC's (let alone tanks) rumbling towards you... it's a
bigger
>>adrenalin surge than any bungy jump. And at night this is REALLY
>>scary!!!
>
>I was at an army training session one time, base visitor, and the
armored
>vehicles just driving around the grounds were a little unnerving.  I
>couldn't imagine having a fire spewing, rumbling armored vehicle
driving
>through my squads position.
>
>>But the actual overrun? Well consider the scale; 1 inch = 10 m. Most
>>AFVs are around 4-8 m wide and the games troop base size is a 10 m
diam
>>circle. So really the liklihood of any more than one troopie being hit
>>is very small!
>
>I agree.  Causing Casualties seems a bit harsh.  I like the idea of
panic as
>well, but the "panic" roll seems to be in place for "inexperienced
troops.
>I guess you could roll it for any of them.

Some minor input for you (three cents change for a nickel):

The effects of panic _may_ also include troopers freezing up, running in
the
wrong direction, etc., and generally being frightened out of their wits
the point that they are essentially blind to their surroundings.

As for a vehicle being able to run down "only" one trooper at most,
consider
these points (taken from WWII accounts):

1. Most armored combatants would, when opportunity arose, go _out of
their
way_ to inflict casualties on unsupported infantry, including _running
them
down_ with their vehicles (most notable instances occurring on the
Russian
front). In SGII, perhaps a _tracked/ground_ vehicle could be allowed to
spend a portion of its movement in the squad's position to allow a d4's
worth of casualty checks as if they were all in Power Armor (or Armour,
depending on your personal geography).

2. Again, most armored combatants (notable, Germans and Russians) would
not
veer out of the way of _their own_ infantry; it was the grunt's job to
get
out of the way...or become tread grease. SQUISH!

Thoughts?

KJ
"War is too important to be left to politicians."
-Col. Jack D. Ripper

Prev: Re: Testing..Testing.. Next: Re: Errata, More Thrust, and related...