Prev: Re: DSII modular production Next: RE: SGII

Re: DSII modular production

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:37:57 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII modular production

Mikko wrote:

[snip]

>> GeoHex can't do this, because the
>> good ol' US of A has decided they don't like anything with lead in
it,
>> except bullets of course... ;)
>
>Talk about overrated hysteria... It's not even a law.
>
>Hmmm... isn't CinC American? How come they still do lead? Or do they
have
>separate castings for export?

A number of US companies, I think, DO offer choice of lead or lead-free,
with most of the lead castings probably going for export; for example,
Ral
Partha stuff sold in the UK by Minifigs are still lead, even the ones
that
are cast in the US and shipped over, like the boxed sets.
I didn't say lead was banned - it is just that all the panic and
misinformation about it caused several of the larger manufacturers
(including the one that casts for GeoHex) to get scared enough to switch
lead-free metals, whether it be pewter, Ralidium TM (hey - great idea -
invent our own name for it and make the price hike even BIGGER...) or
whatever.

BTW, if any manufacturers try and say they had to change all their
moulds
to cope with pewter (I think at least one said this at the time, as
another
excuse for price hiking), this is b*llsh*t - the same moulds work fine
with
almost any low-melt alloy (in our experience, at least).

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: DSII modular production Next: RE: SGII