Prev: RE: DSII modular production Next: SGII

RE: Weapon Variants for SGII (and Enfilade?)

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 08:05:05 -0400
Subject: RE: Weapon Variants for SGII (and Enfilade?)

At the risk of rattling cages........

Continuing the thread of the flamer.....

On the subject of Binary Propellants vs Binary Fuels. To my
understanding the Binary Propellant concept relies on two chemicals
mixed and then ignited usually by an electrical current. This produces
the explosive expansion of gases that push the projectile. On the other
hand a flamethrower will use relatively slowly expanding gas (perhaps
compressed gases) to project a burst or continuous flow of the gel/fluid
which is ignited by another chemical or heat source (not unlike the
pilot light on a gas heater)  - so  the effect of a flamer/flame thrower
is to project a volatile burning substance whether it is something like
phoporous or more like a petroleum gel is probably not all that
important in the scope of SG.

Well, that's how I see it. Any contributions gratefully received.

On another subject;  Enfilade fire.......  The most effective use of a
support weapon. Any thoughts on its application in SG2. After all that
is really why MGs are the powerful weapon on the battlefield, not
because that just push out a lot of rounds really fast. (By the way, did
you know that when the Bren was first developed it was TOO accurate,
yeah grouped too well to be effective as an AREA suppression weapon).