Prev: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Silly DS2 Q for Jon

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 14:01:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Silly DS2 Q for Jon

Paul Calvi wrote:
> Phil's questions on DS2 leaders got me thinking. I've always assumed
that
> infantry units in DS2 were squads. The rules state they are fire teams
and
> you even say 1-3 fire teams make up a squad. BUT, due to the Unit
Integrity
> rules (pg23), all such fire teams must stay in base to base contact
(thus
> they're just a squad stand made up of smaller stands).  If I play with
> squad level stands am I hurting myself when it comes to C checks,
leader
> loss, under fire status, etc. because I am attributing these things to
an
> entire squad instead of just a fire team? Should I adjust anything or
is
> the fact that both sides are equally effected balance everything out
just
> fine?

As I read the rules, any unit can be made up of any number of elements,
effectively making a unit anything from a single squad (which really
contains 8 individual element men which can't maneuver seperately) to a
squad made up of four fireteam units, each of which is made up of two
man elements.  Its a trade off between flexibility and power.

The larger units have the advantage of taking /fewer/ morale checks,
overall, because they don't check as often (or as badly) for each
element/man lost therein.  Of course, they only get one Activation per
turn, but when they unload fire, it'll be effective in the main.

If you're going to be doing infantry-heavy actions, you may want to pick
up the StarGrunt II rules; the scale is much less abstracted therein and
the division of squads into units and elements is a bit more flexible.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII