Prev: Re: Sand Next: Re: Campeign Economics

Re: Campeign Economics

From: Thomas Heaney <Thomas@k...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 15:27:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Campeign Economics

In article <9705052235.AA19705@nps.navy.mil>, "Phillip E. Pournelle"
<pepourne@nps.navy.mil> writes
>I was wondering if anyone has any records of how much of the economy
>(proportion) was devoted to defense during the following times:
>A. Peace
>B. Cold-War
>C. War.
>
>	 This would be used to determine the levels at which a campeign
would
>start.  For example, if everyone knew trouble was on the horizon, then
they
>would have forces that they could support for a cold war, then get more
>money devoted to a hot war, but would now be buying green troops etc.

There's a set of modern naval campaign rules published back in 1984 by
Skytrex that may be of some use here.  I've been toying with the idea of
converting them to FT for some time, but havn't got round to it
yet(though this thread may motivate me).

It has some fairly basic but effective economic rules, from setting up a
nations population, tax rate, defence budget, standing army etc.
Airfields and ports(both military and civil) are diced for modified by
population, as are military factories. It even has rules for modern
space vehicles like space shuttles, hunter-killer sattellites and
orbital bombardment systems!

I think that they may still be available, though I'm not too sure.  If
anyone's interested, I'll look out some addresses that may still have
some copies.

--

Thomas Heaney
Thomas@kontos.demon.co.uk

Prev: Re: Sand Next: Re: Campeign Economics