Prev: Re: Bogey Markers Next: Re: Sand

Re: How to kill base 101 or rock can kill everything :)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 03:11:19 -0400
Subject: Re: How to kill base 101 or rock can kill everything :)

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Chun Wang wrote:

>	Let's make this assumption that space station can move with it's

> manuver jets. I know within current rule that space station is
immobile,
> but let's us be generous give it say 0.5" movement per turn. Missiles
> launchs at the limits of the range. The space station commander decide
> emergency scramble and move the base as much as it can. 3 turns later,

> the space station move out the range of the missiles. OOPs... the
missile
> missed.

I'm sorry, but that won't work either. I'd just launch slightly closer.
I can come up to 55" before your AA -megabatts are in range. With Thr8
it's easy to evade your missiles at this range.

So, your base would have to move over 5" during the 3 turns. That equals

about 2" per turn, which is possible, but starts to sound a bit high for

a basically immobile station.

And barring AA's, the launch can be made considerably closer. At 36"
even
real ships have hard time to evade.

>	Second option. Under vector rule, a stationary base should be
able
> to turn to face any direction you want. So we only need 1 Nova Cannon
on
> the station. Since the missiles are launched at max. range, the
missile
> have to travel as a straight line. Turn the base toward the missile
> swarm, fire the nova cannon, the missile swarm says good night.

The nova bit *could* work... but it would probably result in waves of
missiles instead of one huge swarm. Launch just enough missiles to
warrant the use of the nova/wave system, then launch the rest when
it is recharging. This *will* increase the missile count needed and
therefore change the economics. Maybe it would be enough...

How long did it take to recharge those things?

And what impact does the nova have on "normal" combat? We don't
want a missile countermeasure that counters all other attacks too.

>	I guess I am just here to debate the survivability of base. That
is
> my whole intension.

That's what we're all here for.

--