Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: "And yah, up CLOSE I'm a threat. Beyond range 12 I'm an amusement..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:00:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

>@:) So, it still removes the fun of having a battle within the range
>@:) of "shore batteries".
>
>  Two ideas spring into my head at this point.
>
>  Idea the first: armor negates or reduces the effect of sand.  Hey,
>sand may be fast but it's still small and it ought to be possible to
>come up with armor that will deflect it even if that armor cannot
>deflect larger objects.
>
>  Idea the second: pretty much the same as above but only bases can
>have this particular kind of armor.

Normal ship skin should be constructed in such a manner as to withstand
this with little difficulty. Consider how fast ships are plowing through
space (FTL or normal space). Even though dispersed, there's a lot of
junk
out there. You go fast enough you'll hit enough micrometeorites, and the
accumulated effect would be comparable to a quick trip through a sand
cloud.
Your ship should be constructed to deal with it.

Mk
-
All that is gold does not glitter,
     all those who wander are not lost.

http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~indy/index.html

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII