Prev: DS2 - conversion to SG2 style rolls Next: Re: when do fighters move

Re: Cavalry in SG2

From: "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@w...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:29:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Cavalry in SG2

A nuimber of persons have commented that cavalry can't stand up to
'modern'
weapons. The reasonthat cavalry were able to achieve something in the
early
stages of WW1 & 2 was that cavalry have the advantage of crossing the
'beaten zone' of fire much more quickly thatn leg infantry. This is
essentially what happened at Beer-Sheba in Palestine - the horses got
wind
of the water in the wells and bolted ( no water for days) & there was
minimal or no barbed wire to slow them down - result, infantry over-run
despite entranchments, artillery & machineguns.

I think WRG (Phil Barker et all) were going to put out a set of Colonial
WW1 skirmish rules back before DBM/DBA, but when they had all but
finished
it, someone came up with the figures to back up the above comments and
blew
them out of the water so they abandoned the rules (possibly something in
an
old Slingshot about it, I don't have a copy).

What stuffs cavalry up is - 1) poor terrain (mud in Flanders/France) or
barbed wire entanglements which slows them to infantry pace or slower,
 and
 2) extremely high rate of fire weapons such as emplaced 'mini-guns'
with
plenty of ammo & power. I'm not sure how SGII's 'rotary action SAW'
rates
here.

Bruce S. R. Lee

Prev: DS2 - conversion to SG2 style rolls Next: Re: when do fighters move