Prev: Surfin' Bugs, Dude! (Stargrunt II) Next: Re: Fighters or Bricks?

Re: Fighters or Bricks?

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:03:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters or Bricks?

Mark Donelan writes:

@:)	    I have been playing FT/MT for a short time and .... have
@:) not found fighters to be unbalanced or overly powerful at all.  If
@:) anything they appeared to be too weak in comparison to the A
@:) battery.

@:)	    What have I missed? With the limited speed of fighters and
@:) their vulnerability, (especially to scatterguns) how are you using
@:) them so effectively?

  The only time my group really found fighters to be dangerous was
when we were all optimizing all the PDAF and ADAF out of our ships.
We'd all pretty much agreed that fighters were annoying and that none
of us wanted to use them.  When somebody decided (quietly) that they
weren't so bad after all we found out how nasty they could be.	But
since we hadn't been expecting them, few of our ships had anti-fighter
defenses.  In my opinion, it takes a good amount of *DAF to protect a
ship from a fighter squadron, like 1 PDAF per escort, 2 per cruiser
and "escort" escorts and cruisers have 1 ADAF in place of one of the
PDAFs.	Without these kinds of defenses it seems that fighters can
just roam freely.  Their limited speed does cause problems, though.

-joachim

Prev: Surfin' Bugs, Dude! (Stargrunt II) Next: Re: Fighters or Bricks?