Prev: Re: Real Space Combat Help: Next: Re: Real Space Combat Help:

RE: Real Space Combat Help:

From: Win Baker <WinB@D...>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:18:02 -0400
Subject: RE: Real Space Combat Help:

Since I've been working on the same thing (in a longer form) for quite
some time, I'll lend some ideas. First off, at the normal speeds of
interplanetary warfare, ranges will, by neccessity, very large. This
creates a problem of time lag. Even a second or two lag increases the
need for computer weapons guidance. Optical systems will be at a
premium. Also, when you fire a weapon it keeps going, so if near planets
you have to keep that in mind. Another thing is the glare of the sun.

Directed energy beams basically heat a target a bore a hole in it.
Unless you have a VERY powerful energy source, not much damage can be
achieved (in the near term).

Thats about it. If there is the elusive "Theoretical Space Combat FAQ" I
would have found it by now. Hope this helps a little

Win Barker
Imagineer
Solutions onQue
As to missiles, blast effect is reduced in vacuum so direct contact is
necessary. I'm talking about blast, not fragmentation, which is much
more destructive. A cloud of peanut-sized balls exploded into the path
of a ship will, depending on the relative velocities, probably rip it to
shreds.