Prev: Re: Fast speeds Next: Re: $64,000 Question

Re: Fast speeds

From: "Brian Bell" <pdga6560@c...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:34:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Fast speeds

> From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@nada.kth.se>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: Fast speeds
> Date: Friday, April 04, 1997 7:23 AM
>
> > Do you allow pre-measurement of movement and/or weapon ranges?
>
> Yes. "No pre-measurement" is fine for historical (ancient/napoleonic/
> whatever) battles where there were no reliable way to measure
distances.
> For high-tech battles, however... well, if I can see you on my radar,
> know how far away you are, right? And I can keep track of the range
all
> the time, too. I strongly suspect the same would apply for other types
of

> high-tech sensors or scanners too.

Of course, that's what ECM is for. If you also assume that all warships
have some form of basic ECM,  you could argue that the sensor info is
compromised. Also if you are talking 1/4 light minute per inch, the time
it
takes to travel to and from the ship will also necessitate some
guesswork
on the navigation/targeting computer's part. Therefore, there is also a
vaild argument for NOT measuring in a high tech setting.

Brian Bell
pdga6560@csi.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html
Includes the Full Thrust Ship Registry