Prev: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Tech Levels in FT/MT

Re: Fast speeds

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:25:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Fast speeds

>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:
snip
>> Do you allow pre-measurement of movement and/or weapon ranges?
>
>Yes. "No pre-measurement" is fine for historical (ancient/napoleonic/
>whatever) battles where there were no reliable way to measure
distances.
>For high-tech battles, however... well, if I can see you on my radar, I
>know how far away you are, right? And I can keep track of the range all
>the time, too. I strongly suspect the same would apply for other types
of
>high-tech sensors or scanners too.
>
>Regards,
>
>Oerjan Ohlson

I _prefer_ to avoid it for reasons of game-play and flow, with the PSB
explanation of "mumble... relativistic speeds... mumble... Heisenberg...
mumble".  However, I also have the advantage of a "good eye", so I
wouldn't
object to an opponent pre-measuring as long as it wasn't too extreme.
I'd
guess that it would be much more critical for players using cm rather
than
inches.

cheers
Rob Paul
NERC IVEM
Oxford

Prev: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Tech Levels in FT/MT