Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Mines..

Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 13:56:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]

>On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>
>> Not in my experience. It means that each fire pass is shorter - or,
>> rather, it _may_ mean that. For light torpedo- or submunition-armed
ships,
>> speeds have to be pretty high - certainly higher than 24, anyway.
>
>Hmmm... two ships doing 25" start 40" apart, head-to-head. They go in
for
>the kill. Oops, they fly past each other, no one gets to shoot.

That's no problem- In your example, the ships are just barrelling
towards
each other with no apparent thought for tactics, and apparently flown by
captains who can't count! :-).	High thrust ships would decellerate or
turn,
low thrust ships just turn.  If both ships make a 2 point turn in the
same
direction (ie one turns to port, the other starboard) they end up less
than
12" apart, and in arc.	If you guess incorrectly, well, that's life (3
feet
apart and out of arc!).  If you both want a slugfest, "signal a
challenge"
about your turn direction.

SNIP
cheers,
Rob Paul

Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Mines..