Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Full Thrust Campeigns: Big vs Small ships

Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: "<Mark Andrew Siefert>" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:59:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> Simpler. I like it. But it has too many rolls... I really like
one-roll
> beam resolution.
	How about we use *DAF as screens (you have to set them to screen

with your orders.)
	I don't know.  Beams must be have a direct line of sight to a
target in order to work.  Missiles are a little more flexiable.  Jon's
rules recognize the fact that missiles are more manuverable than a
stream
of sub-atomic particles.

> How about simply handling the missiles as long-range submunition
packs?
> I.e. the missile flies where it flies, and shoots a single subpack
from
> there. I think you could even make it immune to PD to speed play.

	Immune to *DAFs?   You mean no matter how hard I try to shoot
down an incoming missile I'm still missile bait?  That doesn't make the
current situation better.  It kinda puts us back at square one.

> I think the current point cost/mass works: A missile is equal to two
> subpacks, so you basically have a choice of doing safe long-range
> attacks, or doubling your firepower but risking your hide in the
process.

	How about spend more mass and/or points cost to purchase extra
missile ammo?

> Average damage from a close-range hit would drop to 2 points, but it
> would be far easier to hit with small salvoes.

	Why?  A warhead strength is usually "fixed" no matter how far
away a target is.  Beam weapon damage potential is dependent on the
range, how much energy to pump into the weapon, and other factors.

> Needles would roll normally, but count only 6's as needle hits. > EMPs
would cause 5,6/6/nothing at 6"/12"/18". (That might be too powerful)

	ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH....I've always hated these specialty
missiles.  EMP missiles I can buy, but neddle missiles?

> > JUMP TORPEDOES: BIG, expensive missiles that either have their own
(small,

> Very nice idea. Just keep the cost high enough. High cost is
justified,
> because it can do something no other weapon system can.

	No arguments here.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Full Thrust Campeigns: Big vs Small ships