Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:39:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> We DROP the existing multi-turn duration missiles from the game,
replacing
> them with one or both of the following ideas:

> SALVO MISSILE BATTERIES: like oversized submunition packs, with a
launcher

Simpler. I like it. But it has too many rolls... I really like one-roll
beam resolution.

How about simply handling the missiles as long-range submunition packs?
I.e. the missile flies where it flies, and shoots a single subpack from
there. I think you could even make it immune to PD to speed play.

I think the current point cost/mass works: A missile is equal to two
subpacks, so you basically have a choice of doing safe long-range
attacks, or doubling your firepower but risking your hide in the
process.

Average damage from a close-range hit would drop to 2 points, but it
would be far easier to hit with small salvoes.

Needles would roll normally, but count only 6's as needle hits.
EMPs would cause 5,6/6/nothing at 6"/12"/18". (That might be too
powerful)

Maybe "must target closest ship" to avoid EMPing/needling special
targets
to death from long away.

> JUMP TORPEDOES: BIG, expensive missiles that either have their own
(small,

Very nice idea. Just keep the cost high enough. High cost is justified,
because it can do something no other weapon system can.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas