Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]

Re: Maximizing ship designs

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:58:12 -0500
Subject: Re: Maximizing ship designs

At 07:52 AM 4/1/97 +0100, Jon at GZG wrote:

>Exactly, hence the intention to rate drive power as a % of mass in the
>revised system.

I strongly suggest that Jon re-examine the issue of the % Mass
application
issue.	I have a couple disagreements with this concept:
  First, It adds a level of complexity to ship design that is
unneccessary
to the game.  I believe the problems with this can be solved with a
newer
Thrust Efficiency chart that places more data points besides the current
18/36/100 Mass ones.
  Second,  It will drive the game into the arms of the big ships.  Since
large ship has more room to place long range or area affect weapons, it
can
afford to do this and pay for high maneuverability, thus creating more
of
the Kravak effect, but now in capital ships.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]