Prev: Severed Dreams Redux Next: Jerks in Full Thrust

Re: Sensor Rules

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:27:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Sensor Rules

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Allan Goodall wrote:

> I like the idea of sensors enhancing combat. I'm not sure I'd want a
whole
> bunch of modifiers, though. Your system seems pretty straightforward,
> though. I just don't want FT to get into the "modifier trap" because
> multiple modifiers slow down the game.

IMHO, a simpler idea is to extend weapon ranges based on sensor power:

Basic +0"
Enhanced +1" per range band
Superior +2" per range band
ECM +4" to range

Thus a ship with Enhanced sensors would have beam ranges 13"/26"/39" and
one with Superior systems 14"/28"/42". While a ship with ECM protection
(area or personal) simply adds +4" to the range when someone is shooting
at it (or it tries to shoot) -- sometimes it makes a difference,
sometimes
it doesn't.

The d6 range in FT is very limited. I'd stay away from modifiers to it,
since they can have a huge effect for a simple +-1.

You could say that To-Hit type weapons (Pulse torps, railguns) still
have
their normal max range, they just hit better.

Realism check: Sensor power will probably be of utmost importance in
space
battles. At the range of tens of thousands of kilometers or more, even a
big capital ship has relative visual size of about a pebble. BTRC's
Slag!
space combat system is a diceless system based on sensor power. While I
don't like it much otherwise (it has hexes...), I find this aspect very
nice.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Severed Dreams Redux Next: Jerks in Full Thrust