Prev: Re: Hardkill of missiles (exocets) Next: Re: campaigns

Re: "Harpoon in Space"

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:01:44 -0500
Subject: Re: "Harpoon in Space"

David Brewer writes:

@:) Note that an American warship, that was equipped with a phalanx
@:) CIWS, was hit by an Exocet missile in the Persian Gulf. This
@:) suggests that there isn't a fat lot you can do about shooting them
@:) down

  My understanding was that the phalanx system was not operational at
the time.  This may or may not be true and it also may or may not have
anything to do with my further understanding that during trials of the
phalanx system the device was activated and immediately targetted the
rotating radar on the mast of the ship and blew it away - prompting
captains to leave the system deactivated except when they were ordered
to turn it on.	Anyone able to confirm or deny?

  As for my opinion on FT's handling of missiles, shooting them down
on a 6 is ok, but it seems like fighters should be able to engage
them.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Hardkill of missiles (exocets) Next: Re: campaigns