Prev: Re: campaigns Next: Re: "Harpoon in Space"

RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 07:01:12 -0500
Subject: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

Mikko wrote:

>Let's face it: The fact that you *can* optimize, means the system is
>either somehow flawed, or its *intention* is to encourage optimization.

No, the intention was to give players as "open" a system as possible -
what
each group wants to do with it is up to them. As to the flaws, IMHO
virtually ANY system is capable of being manipulated for optimisation
(except one as tight a chess, ref: earlier posts!); if you can design
one
that isn't, we'd love to see it :)!!!

>Honor codes and such are very nice, I follow a certain set myself, but
>wouldn't dream of imposing them on someone else. Clear cut rules are
>another matter.

The jury still seems to be out on this one - judging by responses so
far,
"forcing" players into sensible fleets with rules legislation seems to
get
the thumbs down (as it does from me), so I guess this is just one
penalty
we'll have to pay for keeping the system so flexible. The Powergamers
will
never go away, so we may have to settle for gentle education (pass me
the
pickaxe handle.....)

>--
>maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)

Jon (GZG).

Prev: Re: campaigns Next: Re: "Harpoon in Space"