Prev: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games Next: Re: DirtSide II Rules regarding multiple targets.

Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: James Butler <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:10:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

----
><snip>
>How did he do?
>
>Donald Hosford

	Well enough, but I suspect that was in spite of his ship design.
Bill has always had a penchant for organization and record keeping and I
think it was his administrative edge that compensated for his ship
design.
He's very conservative and so was his design, it emphasized defense.

	The Mobius rules gave you not only the ship design rules but the
ship combat rules. I was interested in playing so I designed a ship that
was going to use in the game. It was a lean and mean light cruiser
design
with tons of guns and a little room for cargo and very thin on defense
(at
least compared to Bill's DN design). The problem was that each of my
cruisers fielded something like 40%-60% of the firepower of his
dreadnought
design and I would be able to build three cruisers to every one of his
dreadnoughts. We ran three of my cruisers vs. one of his DNs through the
game's combat simulation (on paper) a few times and the most common
result
was that I would lose one cruiser, have a second one crippled and his DN
would be destroyed. Combine that to the fact that my ships would have
taken
one-third the time to build and that while he's still waiting for a new
DN
to come off the slipways I would have already gotten two cruisers out
into
space to do things, I'm pretty sure I would have come out ahead.

	I don't know what kind of ships Bill's opponents used. I never
did
wind up joining Mobius III. Last I heard, they were planning on a new
version where you would get at least three ship designs.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games Next: Re: DirtSide II Rules regarding multiple targets.