Prev: Re: Real Thrust Discussion Next: Random events

Re: Real Thrust Discussion

From: dgundberg@S...
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:03:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Real Thrust Discussion

Daryl wrote:

> I'd really be interested in seeing how "Real Thrust" missiles work.
>  You could give them a thrust of 12-18 but only allow up to two
> points of "rotation thrust" (through whatever mechanism you're
 > using).

 This got me thinking of having a pool of trust points a missile can
use.
 It would take some more paperwork than before but the missiles could be

 played as high speed short range or slower speed long range, as they
are
 in the Honor Harrington universe.

 For example off the top of my head, each missile has a pool of 30
thrust
 points it can use in its lifetime.  Each turn at least 5 but up to 15
 points can be used for acceleration and up to 2 points used for
 maneuvering.  Thus the missile can increase speed up to 30 in 2 turns
and
 then it will not be able to maneuver and will soon zoom off of the play

 area.	Or it could use only 5 points for acceleration each turn and
will
 still be able to maneuver at the target 5 turns later.

 Some type of sliding scale could be used so slow acceleration uses
fewer
 thrust points per point of acceleration than fast acceleration.

 This would slow things down if numerous missiles are in use but I think
it
 is an interesting variant in a "Real Thrust" universe.

 Dean Gundberg
 dgundberg@bcbsnd.com

Prev: Re: Real Thrust Discussion Next: Random events