Prev: I got HEAVY GEAR!!! (Off-Topic) Next: Re: Real Thrust Discussion

Re: Real Thrust Discussion

From: Daryl Poe <poe@h...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:58:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Real Thrust Discussion

Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:

> [Disallowing missiles and mines...]

I have no problem living with the mines that bring themselves to a
stop, but I'd really be interested
in seeing how "Real Thrust" missiles work.  You could give them a
thrust of 12-18 but only allow up to two points of "rotation thrust"
(through whatever mechanism you're using).  To most closely match
the current non-vector game, you'd want to allow missiles to apply
negative thrust to slow down (which should be easy to handle, just
do the "thrust" part of the movement in the opposite direction of
facing).  And like the standard game, to make up for the granularity
of the turns you'd allow them to attack anyone in all but rear arc
within a certain radius after movement.  I don't think you need
to pro-rate things for missiles any more than you do for two ships
on a flyby -- it's up to the missile controller to put the weapon
in a position where it's likely to get a good attack.

If anyone gets around to playtesting it, please let us know how it
goes.

Daryl

Prev: I got HEAVY GEAR!!! (Off-Topic) Next: Re: Real Thrust Discussion