Prev: X-ray lasers (Re: Descriptive design system idea) Next: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac

Re: Missiles and Mines in Real Thrust

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:19:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Missiles and Mines in Real Thrust

>   I think it would be great to operate missiles and mines in a
Newtonian
> Universe, I've done it in my homegrown B5 fighter simulation game.
However,
> that system requires a phased turn system and so woul FTIII if they
were
used.  Since the goal is to maintain playability, we'd have to give up
these
weapons
> systems to make it work.  In the future, we can employ weapons with
their own
> momentum such as mines, missiles, sand clouds, water baloons, decoys,
etc.
>      Phil P.

Phil,

A couple of extra turn sequences doesn't seem too bad.	I would really
dislike giving up my missile ships as they are part of many strategies
that
myself and others use when up against larger ships.  BTW I remember the
Star
Frontiers Knighthawks game had water or ice clouds used to dissipate
energy
weapons - haven't seen this to often.  The addition of such defenses
would
be a boost to interesting defensive systems, save the overused shield
concept.

Overall, FT is by far the best game I've played that allows a wide
variety
of technologies, detail, and most of all fun and combines it with
simplicity.  I agree that the game should be kept simple, but I do not
want
to see some of the fun parts disappear.

Later.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: X-ray lasers (Re: Descriptive design system idea) Next: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac