Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: Missiles and Mines in Real Thrust

X-ray lasers (Re: Descriptive design system idea)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:03:39 -0500
Subject: X-ray lasers (Re: Descriptive design system idea)

Regarding nuclear-pumped x-ray laser detonation warheads (say that three
times
fast <grin>), Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Yes and no. A laser warhead could (perhaps; I'm not entirely sure)
> generate more than one beam, in which case the D6 roll for damage
would
> represent how many of these beams that can hit.

As examined in Real Life for the Strategic Defense Initative, the
warhead part
of a det laser contains three basic components:
1) nuclear warhead;
2) laser rods;
3) device to aim the laser rods at the target.

All the estimates I heard spoke of *hundreds* of laser rods per warhead.
 If
they are saturating an area like a shotgun blast (as opposed to being
aimed at
many different widely dispersed targets, as envisioned for SDI), then
the
average number of hits would be determined by the cross section of the
target
and the density of the beams in the target space.  Thus, even with such
an
area effect weapon, targetting becomes crucial -- hundreds of rods
sounds like
a lot, until you start talking about a target hundreds of square meters
in
size in an area of thousands of square kilometers.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)		World Wide Weuvesite --
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)		http://www.wizard.net/~caw
mailto:chrisweuve@usa.net (perm)

Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: Missiles and Mines in Real Thrust