Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac Next: Re: Descriptive design system idea

Real Thrust Discussion

From: pepourne@n... (Phillip E. Pournelle)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:37:29 -0500
Subject: Real Thrust Discussion

I agree that any game system that uses or is set in the B5 universe
should use Newtonian Physics to keep the flavor, just as Star Wars would
require the Rebellion to have Hyper-Space capable fighters.
   The discussion on Newtonian Mechanics has been good and I look
forward to playing them with someone.  Right now I am of the opinion
that in order to do it correctly and maintain playability some
alterations will have to be made.
   1. Fighters move like ships and have an acceleration rate of 16 and
infinite maneuverability.  Fighters are moved after ships are plotted
and before ship movement.
   2.  Missiles and Mines are not used.  Mines may be used by defenive
forces only and must be on the table before the game starts.  I don't
want to wave my hands over the momentum issues.  Mines are activated if
a ship passes within activation range during its movement.  To determine
this, use a ruler from the point of origin to the final position, this
is the flight path.  Since you need to do this to determine the new
vector, it doesn't interfere.  I know that this is not completely
accurate, since conducting a corpen (changing momentum at right angles
by thrusting continuously towards the center of a curve) would cause a
curved motion, we want to maintain playability...
   3.  Looking at the rules GZG  suggested here, I recommend that the
maneuverability a ship be equal to its current thrust rating.  For each
point of maneuverability devoted to turning the ship, causes it to
rotate one clock facing.  Two points of maneuverability devoted to
sidesteps or brakes cause one inch of alteration.  This means a capital
ship with a thrust rating of 2 can turn around in three turns, a
Destroyer with 6 in one.
   In the future we'll have to see if we can use mines and missiles as
well as Sand, etc. for a completely Newtonian system, but I don't want
to burn out on it...

Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac Next: Re: Descriptive design system idea