Prev: Re: Vector Based FT III Next: Re: Vector movement - Reply

Re: Vector movement

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 05:29:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Vector movement

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> Now tell me how you can get there *without* measuring (or calculating)
> the angle (45 degrees) and without calculating the square root of 2?

Experience, usually earned the hard way. Exactly the same way as you
calculate how you get where you want to go in the normal Full Thrust
rules...

But the one (sorry, I don't remember the name :( ) who said "think in
components" was correct, at least for "calculating" this turn's movement
orders: You see where you are going, you see where you want to go, you
note the distance X between the two points and the direction Y from
where
you're going to where you want to go.  Now write your movement orders so
you apply X thrust in direction Y.

It is far more difficult to figure out where you're going to end up with

the "old" FT rules, and (at least for me :/ ) neigh on impossible to get

to where I want to be <g>

Planning ahead is IMO about as hard in both systems.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Vector Based FT III Next: Re: Vector movement - Reply