Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: Re: ds2: Looking for minis in the uk.

Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

From: Alan Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:10:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

Aaron P Teske wrote:

> One assumes the "A" is for Auxillery....

Auxiliary, yes.

> > CGH -    Light Aircraft Carrier
> > CVL -    Light Aircraft Carrier

Carrier, Guided Missile, Helicopter and
Carrier, Fixed-Wing, Light

CV - the V is for heaVier than air, as opposed to CZ Zeppelin (lighter
than air). These designations have a loooong history. CA BTW originally
meant 'Armoured Cruiser' as opposed to CC , at about the turn of the
century, when cruisers were either Light (unarmoured) Protected (deck
armour) or Armoured (at least guns protected, and usually a belt too).

> Just thought I'd ask about these two....
>
> > LHA -    Amphibious Assault Ship (General Purpose)
> > LHD -    Amphibious Assault Ship (Multi-Purpose)

Landingship Helicopter Assault and Landingship Helicopter Dock (ie with
a gate boom at the back and an internal dock for landing craft).

Again, these designations have a long history. The addition of "G" for
Guided missile, "H" for Helo and "K" for ASW submarine (hunter Killer)
were the last changes made. Thus a conventional sub might be an SS, or
if with superior ASW fit, SSK, or add a few UGM-84s and get SSG.
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: Re: ds2: Looking for minis in the uk.