Prev: Leaving the list :-( Next: 15mm minis

Re: The Babylon Project

From: Steve Gill <Steve@c...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:45:16 -0500
Subject: Re: The Babylon Project

Absolutely Barking Stars wrote
>Thanks for clarifying the situation but as a (admittedly fairly
cynical)
>neutral observer  I really can't see this getting enforced. The only
other
>area I can think of where this sort of territorial marketing is used is
the
>console video game industry and in that it's widely ignored. After all,
how
>are they supposed to even attempt to enforce it? By what law does the
>company have rights to look into the lists of where the suppliers ship
to?
>And what's to stop (just as an example *Cough* ) some of the american
>members of this list buying copies for people outside the US and
sending
>them on? It's not like the video tapes or computer games where you have
>problems re NTSC/PAL. A book is a book is a book..

There's always the big stick option as used by a few of the CCG
companies to enforce regional distribution: Any distributor found to be
supplying to a closed market and any retailer buying from out of their
market will be cut off - no more stock ever.

How do the suppliers find out? The offenders' competition tell them!

Personal transactions cannot be controlled in this way, only trade
levels.

--
Steve Gill
Steve@caws.demon.co.uk		  -	    just beCAWS

Prev: Leaving the list :-( Next: 15mm minis