Prev: Re: Points values, uses thereof. Next: Re: Fleet Initiative

Re: Space Marines?

From: k.g.mclean@c... (Kevin Mc Lean.)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:30:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Space Marines?

>>	 Yesterday, I was combing through the used game section of one
of
>>my local game stores when I came across a set of sci-fi miniature
rules
>>called "Space Marines."  They were written by one A. Mark Ratner and
were
>>published Fantasy Games Unlimited, Inc.  These rules are OLD
(copyright
>>1980!) and they looked pretty campy (at least by today's post-Star
Wars
>>standards).  However, they were only asking $3.75 for it, so I picked
it
>>up anyway.  At least it will make an interesting gamer conversation
>>piece.  "Hey Mike, Get a load of this.  This game uses FORCE FIELDS
for
>>infantry!  HA HA!  A take a gander at these goofy-looking aliens...."
>>
>>	 Has anyone else heard of this game?

Er, yes. I too have heard of this game. Ah, I even own a copy. From
memory
it wasn't too bad. I rather liked the Space Opera RPG that went along
with
it. We even ran several campaigns of Space Opera.

A definite trip down memory lane. The last time we played something in
that
Sci-Fi frp vein we went for a simpler sytem, I modified Castle
Falkenstein
by substituting Psionics for the Magic skill and a few other minor
tweaks
(if anyone's interested I can send you the adaptions) and used Full
Thrust
for the ship stats (each damage box was divided up into five - so combat
took longer and small ships weren't just blown out of the sky).

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin Mc Lean.
STEPS Co-ordinator/CLC Tutor.
Central Queensland University.
Mackay Campus.
Ph  (079) 407416.
Fax (079) 407407.

Prev: Re: Points values, uses thereof. Next: Re: Fleet Initiative