Prev: Some random thoughts on Ship Damage Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Re: Some random thoughts on Ship Damage

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:26:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Some random thoughts on Ship Damage

John wrote,

>	  When a Ship takes damage equal to or grather than it's hull
points,
>  it is considered disabled.  It is, for all intents and purposes, out
of
the
>  game, but it is not actually destroyed.  It continues moving at the
same
>  speed and heading that it had when it was disabled (or,
alternatively,
>  continues making the same manuever that it made in its last turn,
over and
>  over.  +2p1, again and again, spiraling off the board....) until it
leaves
>  the board.  If a ship takes damage equal to double its hull points,
it
blows
>  up.	Real good.  Here's the relevant bits: this allow captains to
"Play
>  'Possum", claiming that his ship is disabled, drifting away from the
battle,
>  until someone passes into his port arc, where that last remaining
>  submunition is waiting, patiently....  And, in a campaign game,
disabled
>  ships may be able to be recovered and repaired, while destroyed ships
are
so
>  much random debris.

I like the idea that ships do not immediately explode into a cloud of
debris
as soon as they reach 0 damage points, particularly for a campaign game
or if
one side's objectives include capturing an enemy ship.

But I'm not sure about the "playing possum" idea. I would think that
even a
cursory scan would tell the difference between a ship with total systems
failure and one that's faking it. Of course, it all depends on the
background
and PSBs you use. (Doesn't everything?)

Scott Field

ACUPUNCTURE: Waiting for a cure on pins and needles.

Prev: Some random thoughts on Ship Damage Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!