Prev: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up! Next: Re: C batteries / PDAF

RE: Jon's email address?

From: dbell@z... (David G. Bell)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:02:37 -0500
Subject: RE: Jon's email address?

In message <33133FFF@tseng1.tseng.com> Andy Skinner writes:

> >My address is jon@gzero.dungeon.com; I may be wrong, but I thought it

> came
> >up automatically in the header to any message I posted to the list?
It
> >certainly does on the mail program I use.
>
> My very annoying program (from Microsoft) only shows that messages
> come from owner-ftgzg-l.  If anyone really wants a response from
> email to a list, I'd suggest always giving your email in your
> signature for those of us stuck with this.  Sometimes I don't
> know at all who sent a message--not even a name on the bottom.
> I also have to change the To line when I reply, so it doesn't
> go to the list owner.  Sometimes I forget.

The personal e-mail address is in the headers.	Depending on what your
system does with the SMTP envelope, you may see a line starting "From "
which gives the address the listserver uses to send from, which is also
used in the "Errors-To: " line.  Then a series of "Received: " line
which show the route the e-mail took, and a clutch of header lines
dealing with listserver stuff.

The original e-mail address should be in the "From: " line, with the
listserver address in the "Reply-To: " line.

My software isn't written by Microsoft, and it usually manages to
distinguish between "From " "From: " and "Reply-To: " so I can see the
author's private e-mail address at the tope of the screen.  But it does
sometimes get confused over the difference between an e-mail address and

a name.

So the listserver seems to work according to the relevant standards for
Internet e-mail.  Software which doesn't let you see the header lines
is, IMHO, broken, and it leaves you vulnerable to all sorts of nasty
tricks.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, Furry, and Punslinger..

Prev: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up! Next: Re: C batteries / PDAF