Prev: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up! Next: Re: Fighter CAP and Screens in FT

Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

From: Alun Thomas <alun.thomas@c...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 05:13:04 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

k.g.mclean @ cqu.edu.au (Kevin Mc Lean.) wrote:

> This sounds good to me, so long as small ships started out with two
rows
> max. That ways small ships would keep on going until they suddenly
> vaporised (pretty much how I always imagined it happened in battles
with
> the large ships anyway - you were either there in a small ship or you
were
> flotsam). I think it simulates the abilities of large ships to handle
> damage well.

Well, I'd see the progression for small ships going like this:

1 Hit

2 Hits
XX

3 Hits
XXX

4 Hits
XXX

5 Hits
XXXX

6 Hits
XXXX
XX

7 Hits
XXXXX
XX

8 Hits
XXXXX
XXX

9 Hits
XXXXX
XXX

So ships wouldn't get three rows until they got to 9 hits anyway (ie the
current
escort/cruiser boundary).

In fact, ships with under 4 hits (mass 8 military or mass 16 merchant)
only get
*one*
row - they'll go bang without taking any threshold checks at all - which
think is a
plus point.

(If you want ships to be initially more fragile, but gradually take
fewer and
fewer
thresholds then you could try putting the short tracks at the top and
the long
ones
at the bottom)

Alun.

Prev: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up! Next: Re: Fighter CAP and Screens in FT