Prev: B5 Interceptor Info...(Spoilers for B5) Next: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!

From: "<Mark Andrew Siefert>" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:33:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Alan Brain wrote:

> Mark A. Siefert wrote:
> >
> > Hello Everyone:
> >	    A few months ago, I mentioned that I was working on some
near future
> > rules.
> -->8---
> > Any suggestions are more than welcome.
>
> Firstly, please use Newtonian movement.

	Will do, I also want to add the concept of reaction mass (i.e.
fuel).

> Secondly, the biggest problem with hard-kill mechanisms is going to be
> tracking the target. ESM and ECCM are going to be a Big Deal.

	I'm tempted to dump my B5 rules (What's the point? JT's rules
are
coming out soon, and I am really dissapointed in them.) and incoporate
the
EW rules into this system.

	While I am on the subject of these near future rules, I want to
bring up another idea I am having trouble with:  AUTOCANNON AMMO
EXPLOSIONS!  IMHO, if an autocannon takes a hit, their is a chance that
any remaining ammo will cap off and do further damage to the ship.  I
have
to techniques:
	1. The Catastrophic Method:  When an autocannon is damaged in a
threshold roll (except those caused by EMP weapons) roll a seperate d6
and if the result is a 6 then the ammo in the magazine goes (in the
immortal words of Commander Susan Ivanova) "BOOM!"  Multiply the amount
of
ammo left by the rating of the cannon.	This is the amount of damage you

take.  Yes Virgina, you can completely destroy a ship this way.  The
near
future is a dangerous place for space combat.
	2. The Not-So-Catastrophic Method:  The same as above.	Except
you don't multiply the number of ammo by the level of the cannon.  Just
mark off damage equal to the amount of ammo in the magazine.

	Any opinions either way?

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: B5 Interceptor Info...(Spoilers for B5) Next: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion