Prev: Re: Jon's latest ideas Next: Re: Oh, the Humanity !

Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! (Thrust Factor 5%)

From: k.g.mclean@c... (Kevin Mc Lean.)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:03:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! (Thrust Factor 5%)

>1) We intend to do away with the artificial distinctions between
Escorts,
>Cruisers and Capitals, and have a single "sliding scale" of ship
designs
>from smallest to largest; this will also mean that Superships cease to
need
>special rules - you can build something as big as you like under the
basic
>system. (Still figuring on how to best do the damage track and
threshold
>points - have been watching the last few days' discussions with
>interest...)
>
>2) Under the new system, you will have more MASS per ship to play with
in
>the design (probably = to total mass rather than 50%), but out of this
you
>will have to use mass for drives and other bits that are currently
assumed
>to be part of the "other 50%" of the ship mass. The thrust rating will
>depend on the % of the ship that you devote to the drives - preliminary
>ideas are for 5% ship mass per thrust factor. FTL drive will use 10% of
>ship mass. This means you can build a ship with very high thrust if you
>wish, at the cost of having very little weapons space - or a very
"slow"
>one bristling with guns.....
>(OK, I know this will change the ship designs considerably, but then so
>will a simple change like making A batts cost 4 mass....)

This sounds good in principle. How about raising the factor for thrust
from
5% per point to 10% if the ship carries A Batteries; to 15% if the ship
carries fighter groups, wave guns, AA Batteries; and to 20% if they're
carrying something really way out like a Nova Cannon. This would give
the
small ships a fair break and ensure that they're mainly armed with B
batteries.

All the other ideas sound fine. Mind you in Australia we're having a
dickens of a time getting  hex stands at the moment.

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin Mc Lean.
STEPS Co-ordinator/CLC Tutor.
Central Queensland University.
Mackay Campus.
Ph  (079) 407416.
Fax (079) 407407.

Prev: Re: Jon's latest ideas Next: Re: Oh, the Humanity !