Prev: Re: Full Thrust Demo Derby! Next: Hardware Wars in FT (was Re: Full Thrust Demo Derby!)

FT: The Next Madison Game

From: John Kovalic <muskrat@m...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:45:55 -0500
Subject: FT: The Next Madison Game

Well, I'm running the next big FT game at The Last Square next
Wednesday.
(Wanna road-trip, Mark?) It's Classic Star Trek again, but this time
with a
twist.

With the recent talk about Star Trek games that "feel" like the show, I
decided to give an idea a whirl.

It'll be about seven Klingon Heavy Cruisers and one Battleship, plus
support (six to eight Romulan cloaking-capable destroyers), versus Six
Federation Cruisers, plus support (six to eight destroyers). Yup, the
Federation is HEAVILY outmatched, UNTIL...

A worm-hole opens up through the Space-Time continuum, and out pops the
Enterprise D (ala "The Next Generation)!

I'm trying to figure out how powerful to make it, and how to best
represent
its new Tech level. One idea was to make it a Battleship, but half the
cost
and space for its Warp and Thrust Engines. And perhaps half the cost of
its
shields. And of course, once it's on the map, all Romulan cloaking
devices
will be ineffective (I'm assuming a Cloaking Device arms race - as Fed
Tech
gets better, so do the Claoking Devices - over the course of time from
ST,
through the movies, to ST:TNG).

Basically, I want the Enterprise D to be NASTY, but I still want the
game
to be ballanced. Or at least, as ballanced as humanly possible. The
Federation should be able to keep the Klingons at a distance for a short
while (They'll have "A" batteries, the best the Klingons will have are
"Bs"
and double-range Needle Guns), so I don't want to bring the Enterprise-D
in
until turn four or five.

AND I don't even want the Federation players to know it's coming. (I
want
its appearance to be a shock to both sides). I may let one player in on
it
- whoever will take over command of the D. The goal of the Enterprise D
is
to go back through the worm-hole, whenever it reappears. I may bring it
back twice in the game, for three turns per time.

He he he he.

Thoughts?

John Kovalic

       "This must be Thursday. I never COULD get the hang of Thursdays"
					      - Arthur Dent
				       "Wild Life": a Web comic -
	at MUSKRAT CENTRAL: http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/muskrat/

Prev: Re: Full Thrust Demo Derby! Next: Hardware Wars in FT (was Re: Full Thrust Demo Derby!)