Prev: Re: The Ft FAQ! Next: Re: Star Wars micromachines

Re: Rearming Fighters...

From: Hal Carmer <hal@b...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:24:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Rearming Fighters...

> My house rule is to give one deck crew for each hanger bay on a
carrier.
>  When fighters come back on board, deck crews may be assigned to
fighters.
>  Each deck crew rolls a die and if any six comes up, the fighter
squadron is
> reloaded and ready to go.  Squadrons of the same type may be combined
while
> in the hanger and a squadron must have 4+ fighters to launch again.

My thoughts on this toic is such that rearming is dependant upon what
the
"timescale" is per "turn".  If each turn is 30 seconds, then it isn't
much
time to rearm the fighters.  On the other hand, if each turn is 10
minutes, then 2 turns is all it should take if one uses conventional
aerofighter times...

  All in all, my amendment to Brian's idea is that you add +1 to each
turn
it takes to arm the fighters past the first.  Thus, the second turn
would
be a roll of 1d6+1, the third turn would be 1d+2, etc until a modified 6
is rolled.  Veteran deck crews might get a +1 to die rolls, normal
deckcrews get no mods, and green crews get an initial -1 (thus insuring
that they can never get a fighter out in 1 turn!).

  One other "subject" to tack on to this post...

Some time back, I mentioned some shipbuilding times for "campaign"
rules.
A thought struck me as I was re-reading them last night <ouch!>.  The US
was able to gear up into a high wartime production rate, but the US is
still unable to recover from the debt that saddled us with!  In campaign
games, how does one account for a world that has only 1 million people
on
it, trying to build capital class ships... quickly?

  What I would suggest the game designer attempt to do, is quantify the
"volume" involved in a one "mass" unit.  For now, I am looking at the
idea
that it takes 1 person per 20 to produce food for the population.  I am
looking at the idea that it takes maybe 9 people in 20 to maintain
normal
day to day economic activities, leaving 10 people out of 20 to
"specialize" in specific activities.  Thus, you might have 5 people out
of
20 specialize in metal production (raw materials), 2 people specialize
in
electronic production, and 3 people in shipbuilding production.  You
need
2500 people per 1 mass of ship being built per week.
  What I need to do now, is quantify what the "output" per mining person
is, what the output per electronic production will be, and so on and so
forth.

  This is a bare skeleton of production related to population figures.
Does anyone remember the computer game REACH FOR THE STARS or the board
game STELLAR CONQUEST?	In those games, the population supported
factories, and produced production points.  It didn't matter how much
population you had if you didn't have enough factories, nor did it
matter
how many factories you had, if you didn't have enough people to man
them...
  In all, that is kind of what I would like to see in a campaign type
game...

      Hal

Prev: Re: The Ft FAQ! Next: Re: Star Wars micromachines