Prev: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks... Next: RE: Micromachine Conversions

Re: Micromachine Conversions

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 01:22:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Micromachine Conversions

At 07:21 AM 1/21/97 -0500, Mike wrote:
>I'm working on converting a disassembled Narn dreadnaught into three
smaller
>ships.  What paints or glues have you folks found effective/ineffective
on
>the Micromachine's flexible plastic?

I haven't tried it on the Micromachines, but the best glue I've found
for
plastic is called _Goop_. Goop comes in a couple of different forms. I
have
Goop and Crafter's Goop.

The first thing I tried to glue was a Norman cavalry man from the Revell
Norman set of HO figures. These are made of similar soft plastic as
Airfix,
Matchbox, ESCI, etc. figures. I put a spot of glue on it and let it
stand
overnight (as suggested). I've tried cyanoacrylite (super glue), model
glue
(liquid and tube) and two-part epoxy before, and none of them held the
plastic together for any length of time. After the Goop cured overnight,
picked up the model by the rider. It stayed together. I ended up shaking
the
figure violently and tugging it. It's still stuck together (a year
later). I
would suggest that this might be your best bet for the Micromachines.

As far as paint, that could be a bit difficult. Someone on
rec.games.miniatures.historical was talking about coating plastic
figures
with polyurethane. The polyurethane, while thick, hardens and protects
the
figure. Check out the newsgroup and/or Deja News for more info.

Allan

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks... Next: RE: Micromachine Conversions