Prev: Re: Fighter Groups (Full Thrust isn't a simulation) Next: Re: Battlestar Galactica ships, etc.

Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...)

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:31:33 -0500
Subject: Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...)

Samuel Penn wrote:
>Okay, so we still get EMP effect caused by the metal hull of the
>ship. But will ship hulls be necessarily metallic? I've always
>considered FT ship hulls to be made of some 'other' material,
>possibly ceramics, plastics or some molecular structure we can
>only hypothesise about today (GP hulls?? At least casualties
>would be low if all you can do is burn off external weapon mounts).

>Also, there's the possibility of optical computers (and considering
>the size of the fire control computers (3 mass?!?!?! I'd say that's
>about 3 mass too big), it seems JT had Lensman style vacuum tubes
>in mind, which I believe are resistant to EMP), hardened circuits,
>or any other future technology which would make EMP a problem of
>the past.

I agree with you about the reduced effect of an EMP on future
technology,
but the likelyhood that all are systems are completely safe would be
small.
I think some technologies would still be expensive and resources might
be
lower than comparable unprotected technologies.  IMHO critical systems
would
be given the best protection with the majority of systems less.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Fighter Groups (Full Thrust isn't a simulation) Next: Re: Battlestar Galactica ships, etc.