Prev: Signing Off FAQ Next: Re: Large and Super ships

Re: boarding actions

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:59:23 -0500
Subject: Re: boarding actions

At 08:41 PM 12/3/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Joachim wrote,
>
>> I am curious to find out whether anyone on the list has seen any
>>  successful boarding actions and, if so, what tactics were used to
>>  catch up with the ship to be boarded.  We've been looking at all
sorts
>>  of rules geared towards preventing ships from being destroyed
>>  instantaneously and one suggestion was that we capture each others'
>>  vessels.  Unfortunately, so far no one has been able to successfully
>>  match speed with an enemy ship (even a crippled one) in order to
>>  board.  As long as the engines are still working, it would seem to
be
>>  just a matter of luck as to whether you can match velocities.
>
>Almost all the boarding actions I've seen have been against crippled
ships --
>take out the target's engines with needle beams and then come
alongside.
>Against a ship with working engines I agree that it's pretty hard to
get that
>close, unless you're both going pretty slow.
>
>One other option you could try is using some form of tractor beams.
There
>were several good ideas suggested on this list awhile back; you can
either
>check Jerry Han's archives, or (last I checked) Mark Siefert had them
posted
>on the Unofficial FT Page.
>
>Scott

	Here's something we were considering--

	Pursuit plotting

	If at the beginning of the movement plot you have an enemy ship
in
your forward arc and that ship has you in its rear arc, first plot
movement
for your other vessels and then the ship you are pursuing gives you its
movement plot and finally, you plot movement for the pursuing vessel.

	The idea is that you are following the enemy through whatever
maneuvers he's making while he's making them so that you can't even give
his
movement plot to your allies or other vessels under your control. Sulu's
just doing his best to stay behind this guy, you know.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Signing Off FAQ Next: Re: Large and Super ships