Prev: Re: (North) American games... Next: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish)

From: Brian Bell <103311.1205@C...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 19:21:53 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish)

Brian Cantwell wrote:
>Hanger Bay
>Mass:	4	Cost:  4
>Big open space to store and repair fighters.  One required per fighter
>squadron.
>
>Launch Bay
>Mass:	4	 Cost:	12
>Space and Machinery to launch and recover fighters.  Each Hanger bay
may
>launch or recover on fighter group each turn.
>
>Launch Tubes
>Mass:	2	 Cost:	10
>Specialized rapid launch system for ready fighters.  Each set of tubes
>carries all of the fighters of one squadron in launch racks ready to
go.
> Just scramble the pilots and punch 'em out.  Each tube is connected to
one
>hanger bay and may only launch the fighters from that bay.  Launch
tubes may
>not be reloaded during combat and are not able to recover any fighters.

>Fighter squadrons
>Base cost for a standard fighter squadron is 10 pts, plus hangers,
launchers,
>etc.  Advanced fighters add their usual amount to this base cost.

Nice system. I would prefer something that could be added to the
existing
rules rather than replace them. By corrupting your ideas, how about:

Launch Bay: Standard FT Fighter Bay. All ships that carry Fighters MUST
have at least one Launch Bay. There may be a maximum of 2 of these on a
ship. A 2nd Launch Bay may be placed on a ship ONLY if the total tons of

Launch Bays, Hanger Bays, or Launch Tubes is 1/2 or greater of the
allowed system tonnage.

Hanger Bay
Mass:  4       Cost:  Equivilant Fighter Bay cost -5
Big open space to store and repair fighters.  Holds 1 Fighter Group.
Hanger Bays may NOT launch or recover Fighters. Hanger Bays are
connected
to all Launch Bays.

Launch Tubes
Mass:  3	Cost:  5
Specialized rapid launch system for ready fighters.  Each set of tubes
carries all of the fighters of one squadron in launch racks ready to go.

Just scramble the pilots and punch 'em out.  Each tube is connected to
one hanger bay and may only launch the fighters from that bay.	Launch
tubes may not be reloaded during combat and are not able to recover any
fighters. However, Fighters may be launched from Launch Bays while the
ship is maneuvering.

Launch Bays, Hanger Bays, and Launch Tubes may only be mounted on
Capital
class ships. If a hanger Bay or a set of Launch Tubes are damaged the
fighter group may not launch (the pilots are in the hanger bay until the

launch order) until it is repaired.

This would encorporate the existing Fighter rules (including tons &
cost)
and expand capability. Cost would be the same as for existing ships with

Fighters. Tonnage would cost 1 more for the Fighters that would have to
have waited to launch. Alternatly, ship could be designed for less, but
Fighters would have to wait to launch.

Brian Bell
103311.1205@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html

Prev: Re: (North) American games... Next: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)