Prev: Re: Construction times Next: Battery sizes, was Re: FT3 Revision, not Re-write

Re: EMP was Why big ships are too good...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 08:06:06 -0500
Subject: Re: EMP was Why big ships are too good...

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 CMitch5046@aol.com wrote:

> >Alpha patticles would not pass through a ship's hull (alpha is
stopped by a
> >sheet of paper),  only high energy beta and gamma would pass through
the
> >hull (where you would then see Bremstrahlung effect - just as nasty
but
> >slightly different thing.)
>
> Yes but remember gamma particles will tend to collide with atomic
nuclei
> within the ships hull and components thus ejecting high energy alpha
> particles and slow neutrons and this would be enhanced by the presence
of
> armour especially if depleted uranium is used to give increased mass
for the
> volume.

Uh... Gamma 'particles' are photons - high intensity, but still. Gamma
rays are electro-magnetic rays. You have to use one hell of an intense
gamma ray to get alpha degeneration... if it is possible at all, that
is.
(Neutrons can cause alpha- and beta- degeneration of atomic nuclei,
though.) Even a high energy alpha particle will have troubles
penetrating
a steel plate like your normal bulkhead...

[Rest of article snipped]

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Re: Construction times Next: Battery sizes, was Re: FT3 Revision, not Re-write