Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...

Re: Campaign rules?

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:44:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign rules?

While all these conversions between units of measurement are going on, I
feel I should point out that the speed of light is approx. 2x10e9
furlongs
per millifortnight...

>Hello Folks,
SNIP
>  Converting the displacement tons to cubic yards, and then to "Mass
>units" with a mass unit equal (roughly) to 250 cubic yards, the value
of
>the IOWA would be 59,859 cubic yards, and 239 Mass units.

Remember that the displacement volume is only the submerged portion of
the
hull- the hull above the waterline and the superstructure would add a
great
deal of volume.

>  If we assume time equal to square root of mass in months, then the
IOWA
>would have taken 15.45 months to complete.  That is a tad over the 1
year
>and one day that was mentioned earlier, but then again, we are talking
>about two different ships, and we are talking about two different
>countries building yards.

	That time was a publicity stunt; 22 months for the pre-dread HMS
Majestic was considered impressive in the late 19th century.  Most
dreads
would be in the 3 to 4 year level:  IIRC, some French pre-dreads took 9
years!!!
snip
>  Just as a "joke", anyone want to build a BB with 240 mass?  Bet you
>could have some real fun piloting one of those on the board <grin>....

More Thrust's Supership rules would cover it...

>Hal

Cheers,
Rob Paul

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...